Health Information Technology (HIT) has the enormous potential to transform healthcare by positively impacting quality, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and engagement. Similarly, new self-monitoring technologies and data science methods open unprecedented opportunities to inform decisions and choices of individuals who must manage their health and chronic diseases at home. As the impact of these technologies continues to increase, HIT researchers and practitioners are increasingly focusing on the design of interactive systems, human factors, and human-computer interaction. Many different research communities contribute to the advance of these technologies; these include human-computer interaction, human factors, biomedical informatics, behavioral medicine, among others.
The Workgroup on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH) brings together industry and academic researchers in human-computer interaction, biomedical informatics, health informatics, mobile health, and other disciplines to develop a cross-disciplinary research agenda that will drive future innovations in health care.
The overarching goal of the Symposium of the Workgroup on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH) is to establish lasting and meaningful connections between these communities, and bring together students and researchers from various disciplines who are working on creating, implementing, and evaluating innovative health technologies.
For WISH 2019, to be considered for inclusion in the technical program, the participants will be asked to submit a manuscript in one of the three categories (see below for details):
- original research paper
- research highlight paper
All papers and poster submissions should follow the Extended Abstract Format from CHI 2019 available here. Research highlights will consist of a one-page abstract in the CHI 2019 Proceedings format also available here.
Submissions in all categories will undergo a peer-review process; the authors of the accepted submissions will be invited to present their work at the symposium.
For each accepted submission, at least one author must attend the symposium and at least one day of CHI 2019.
- Original Research submissions discuss previously unpublished work in the space of Interactive Systems for Healthcare. These include, but are not limited to, studies of user engagement with a variety of HIT and design and evaluation of novel HIT systems. Submissions in the Original Research category should follow CHI Extended Abstract Format with the page limit of 6 pages (including references). The accepted Original Research will be presented an oral presentation during the symposium.
- Poster submissions discuss previously unpublished late breaking work in the space of Interactive Systems for Healthcare. Submissions in the poster submission category should follow CHI Extended Abstract Format with the page limit of 4 pages (including references). The accepted poster will be presented in a poster presentation during the symposium.
- Research Highlight submissions allow researchers to share work relevant to WISH areas of investigation, which was already accepted for publication and/or presented at other venues in the period between Mai 2018 and May 2019 (NOT including CHI 2018). For work that has been presented just before CHI 2018 (i.e. before May 2018), and that the authors feel could contribute to WISH 2019, please contact the chairs to discuss suitability. These submissions should include ONLY the abstract of the original publication and a brief summary explaining this work’s significance for WISH. These submissions should also include a statement that their submission to WISH does not conflict with the policies of the venue where the work was originally published or presented.
During the submission process, you will be asked to select in which forms you would be willing to present your accepted submission – either an oral presentation and/or a poster presentation. The poster session will take place during the late afternoon/early evening reception. For accepted submissions, the program committee will consider and decide upon one of the presentation formats based on the number of submissions received that would consider that format, the quality of the work to be presented, which contribute to the overall diversity of the technical program.
Accepted submissions will be published on the WISH 2019 website. Authors retain all copyright. We encourage submissions discussing novel design approaches, experimental results, qualitative studies, policy and theoretical contributions, and any other health and interactive systems related content. The goal of the workshop is to foster discussion, encourage broad ideas, and bring together a wide interdisciplinary audience.
All submissions will be regarded as the final publication-ready version of your submission. Therefore, the abstract and paper submission must be clearly written, carefully proofread and correctly formatted.
- Submissions Due – February 25, 2019
- Submission Notifications– March 15, 2019
- Registration – will be announced
- WISH Steering Committee Meeting – Saturday May 4, 2019
- Main WISH Symposium Day – Sunday May 5, 2019
How to Submit
All submissions should be uploaded under WISH 2019 in EasyChair
If you have any questions or a need for further information, please send an email to email@example.com.